Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Pumpkin Soup and Seasoned Spinach


I should change this blog description because I no longer have a fully stocked sanitary kitchen at my fingertips. Currently I am an art student in Florence that has to eat for 12 euros a day or less. My cooking utensils are extremely limited as is my fridge and freezer space. Not to mention, the cleanliness of an aged kitchen shared by four people is questionable. Someday soon I will deep clean (including removing the sticky dust layer on everything five feet up). Making kefir and sauerkraut should be interesting...finding ingredients and space.

Back to what I was saying, my recipes are incredibly simple and affordable to make. Serving size for one person generally. For some recipes I'll put in suggestions of what could be needed for an extra kick of flavor. Cayenne for instance; haven't found it yet at the Coop.

Zucca Zuppa:
Cook until very soft and then blend:
1/4 pumpkin peeled and cubed
1 - 2 cups chicken broth
sea salt
Return to heat and drop in desired amount of tasty extra virgin olive oil.

I am loving these simple recipes because the flavor of the vegetables really comes through. You may have a personal preference to and something else, but for me it was perfetto!

The spinach side was lacking because my salt is not salty for some reason and i spinaci was frozen. Nevertheless...
Spinach
small red onion
1 - 2 cloves garlic
basil
butter
sea salt and pepper

For desert a chocolate bar [which I ate half of on the walk home].

Take care and keep experimenting!

Lesson for today: 100 g of chocolate is too much for one night. Despite my chinese roommate telling me in italian that "mangia poco" I'm feeling very full.

No comments:

Post a Comment